Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's Never Just a Little Spit Up...

In our house, we have an issue...and it's called spit up. Since Addison was two weeks old, she would spit up...actually it should be called throw up because it just wasn't a little bit. We notified the doctor of the situation once it started coming out of the nose. To make things worse, she would momentairly stop breathing. She made this gasping noise that I could hear a mile away in a deep sleep. For the first month of her life, I barely slept, afraid that I would wake up and she wouldn't be alive. Some nights, I even slept with my hand on her chest. A couple of nights, I woke up to the gasping noise and literally jerked her out of bed grabbing anything I could get my hands on...whether that was her clothes, arm or hand. You would immediately grab her up and begin patting her on the back to get her to start breathing again. Just think of how scary that feeling can be...it was and I probably will never forget it.

Finally at a month old with nothing working (they had us put cereal in her bottle), we were referred to a Ped Gastro doctor. The next five months have been spent going to doctor appointments, hospital for a couple of tests (picture on left is one such test), and pharmacy as well as attending to the mountains of laundry because of our little "issue." Some days are good...only one clothing change. While others bring on more challenges....like 4-5 clothing changes and about 9 bibs. They do tell me that it should be getting better...by four months it is supposed to be the worse. From there, we should see an improvement. At six months, I would say it is still the same. We see better days and then others I wonder how she ever gains any weight. It feels like more comes up then actually goes down. I thought it would be better too because she is eating baby food. Nope...the spit up just has color now!

All in all, I know our problems could be ALOT worse and I am grateful they are not. I just wonder how she feels about it. I know she takes medicine for the acid reflux which helps, but geez...I think I would hate throwing up 10 times a day! The med does help with the acid content. Before, she would cry when she spit up because it was burning. Now, that isn't the case but I still feel bad...more like helpless that I can't do anything to help. I'm optimistic though...and I am just hoping she grows out of this soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!